We are a working group with members from ZHRO (Zimbabwe Human Rights Group), ROHR (Zimbabwe Restoration of Human Rights), MDC-A (Movement for Democratic Change Alliance) and ZAPU along with other Zimbabweans living in the UK and various organisations who have been coordinating efforts to stop the deportation of people back to Zimbabwe.
We have gathered numerous pieces of evidence (see below) of the dire situation in Zimbabwe. Our country is in the grip of several concurrent crises – political violence perpetrated by the ruling Zanu PF party, economic crisis, medical chaos caused by looting of funds and resources and judicial corruption which mainly favours the ruling elite and their looting/land grabbing.
The Home Office has taken to face value that the Zimbabwe government will help those being deported without providing any real evidence of how this support will be implemented nor the safe guard mechanisms needed to keep people who fled because of political, trade union, religious or other fears.
We urge the public to take immediate action to stop the flight to Zimbabwe scheduled for 21 July, 2021.
ACTIONS TO TAKE IMMEDIATELY
- Write to your MP and demand the flight be stopped. Black Activists Rising Against Cuts (BARAC UK) have written a template. Link here
- Sign the petition launched by BARAC UK but supported by Restoration of Human Rights (ROHR) Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe Human Rights Organization (ZHRO), Lesbians and Gays Support the Migrants (LGSMigrants), Right To Remain, Voice for Voiceless Immigration Detainees Yorkshire, Actors For Human Rights, Bail for Immigration Detainees, Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants. Link here
- Tweet @ the Home Office to say deportations are cruel and inhumane and we say #ENDDEPORTATIONS
- Keep sharing on social media and throughout your networks
ZHRO- Zimbabwe Human Rights Group
ROHR – Zimbabwe Restoration of Human Rights
MDC-A -Movement for Democratic Change Alliance
Evidence of human rights violations in Zimbabwe:
- The recent report published in 2021 on Human Rights by the United States Embassy in Zimbabwe makes ‘difficult’ reading in terms of the abuse that opposition members face and of injustices across many aspects of their constitution. https://zw.usembassy.gov/2020-human-rights-report-zimbabwe/
- Hansard reports on all Government Debates, this is 16th March 2021 yet still the Home Office is “deaf” to the evidence https://hansard.parliament.uk/lords/2021-03-16/debates/E3C886CF-2F86-48DA9F8F-9930CFA43088/ZimbabweHumanRightsAbuses
- Amnesty International’s 2020 Report on Zimbabwe
- Human Rights Watch cites mass evictions 6 th March 2021 https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/03/06/zimbabwe-thousands-villagers-facing-eviction
- 12th February 2021 Journalist Exposes Endemic Corruption in Zimbabwe.